Monday, January 31, 2011

All That SwAG...

Monique Lhullier
Chanel Haute Couture
Carolina Herrera
Oscar de la Renta

Malandrino
Louis Vuitton
Roberto Cavalli
Prada
Alexander McQueen
Hervé Leroux
Azzaro
Versace
Oscar de la Renta

Ah! Ladies we are 2 for 2 so far this award show season: the Globes and now the SAG Awards did not disappoint. While one didn't necessarily need to tune in to find out who the winners were (practically carbon-copies of the Globes) you did need to get a good glimpse of the red carpet, because almost all the ladies struck different chords last night. To understand the Red Carpet at the Globes, one must know that it's a whole different ball game as far as fashion is concerned, this is a ceremony where the stars unite as fellow actors honoring their peers: this allows for a more laid back fashions & possibly more risks.

Cupcake Queen
I figured this time I would start with my least favorite and save the best for last! Winona, wherever you stole that look you need to bring it back immediately. The dress: too poofy, too bridal, & just not pretty. And then I realized that it really is an actual wedding dress from Alberta Ferretti's 2011 collection. To my knowledge this is a first time for the red carpet, & hopefully the last. (Even though I would totally dye Angie Harmon's Monique Lhuillier confection in a heart beat to wear as a wedding dress ;) I don't quite understand the random black handbag-- something more soft & neutral would have been more appropriate. And the hair? Was just icing on the cake.

A For Effort
There were a few looks last night that while I wasn't swooning over them I definitely loved the look & thought they looked great. It's especially hard to remain unbiased during these shows when you've seen the ladies rock another look in the past that you thought was phenomenal & then see them the next year just looking okay. Glee's Lea Michele for example, I have no complaints or bad things to say about her Oscar de la Renta sparkler but having absolutely fallen in the love with her plunging Malandrino gown for last year... I was expecting more. But appreciate the entire look, especially what she chose to do with her hair.
Nude, one shouldered, & jeweled in music to my ears, however when the nude color blends in with your skin it's not so much my favorite. Someone with Halle Berry's skin tone would have rocked Hilary Swank's Versace gown, but on her it seemed a little too muted. We've all seen her do wonders on the red carpet so this look didn't speak to me like priors have.

The Kids Are All White
A major trend on the red carpet last night was definitely white hot. Natalie, Amy, Winona & Lea all opted for the neutral tone. Natalie's growing baby bump looked adorable in her strapless Azzaro gown & Amy Adams looked to glamorous in her Hervé Leroux silhouette.

Color My World
Another plus from last night, was the elaborate use of color. Prints, stripes, & solids kept us all on our toes. My favorite of the night, Mila Kunis donned a show-stopping Alexander McQueen gown. Her effortless hair matched her free flowing gown perfectly. I loved how it was cinched at the waist with a matching belt (another trend of the evening). Red carpet newbie & nominee, Hailee Steinfield looked adorable in her fun loving striped Prada gown. So far she has done an excellent job looking age appropriate and sophisticated all at the same time. Sofia Veragara yet again showed off her killer curves in a plunging Roberto Cavalli creation in cobalt blue & her mini co-star, Sarah Hyland, donned a gorgeous rust colored Max Azria dress. All the ladies were glowing in their respective colors!
Belt It Out
As I mentioned before, accentuating the waistline was a huge trend last night. Ladies were switching up a straighter silhouette for something that showed off their curves. Jennifer Lawrence opted for a black velvet belt (not my favorite, definitely liked the sparkling belt Oscar sent it down the runway with) and black accessories to pop against the hot pink gown. Mila's McQueen dress came with a matching belt, as well as Claire Danes' breathtaking Louis Vuitton gown. I loved the way the black & teal scalloped together to create such an amazing shape on her. While Rosario Dawson's dress didn't have a true belt, she personified that a wrap waist dress always does wonders for the figure & the pale hue looked remarkable on her skintone.
Thinking Outside of the Box
I still remember as a teenager seeing Julie Bowen in Neutrogena commercials and thinking "Wow, that woman is so beautiful." I'm so happy that she has a hit show that allows us to see her doing more than just washing her face. I love the risk of this outfit-- not to mention how well it fits her. I'm a huge fan of Malandrino & don't think it's worn enough to big time events like these. She looked so elegant & sophisticated in her pantsuit & I really appreciate her taking a fashion step that is usally done wrong.
I understand if you don't agree but I really think the Carolina Herrera gown January Jones wore to the show was a masterpiece and exudes sophistication. Only someone as fashion forward as she could pull something like this with such grace.
Julia Stiles has had some hits & misses on the red carpet, but last night the Dexter actress rocked an ombre Monique Lhullier gown likes nobody's business. Thumbs up for trying something different!
The short of it? I loved Dianna Agron's Chanel Haute Couture tea-length dress. She showed everyone how this season's hot hemline is done!

0 comments:

Post a Comment